Monday, April 28, 2014

Debbie's Quick Teaching Tips #2

Dynamic Dog

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Joel and I'm working with Debbie to make her and Crescendo's online life a little easier! Like many of you, I'm a music teacher (with a few savvy tech skills). You may see me popping up here from time to time or on some of Crescendo's other social media. (Are you following us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Instagram? Check the right hand side of this page for a list of where you can find us!)

This week's tip is something I've found really useful in the lower primary music classroom.

I bring in a small stuffed dog and have the class sit in a circle. One student waits just outside the door while another student hides the dog somewhere in the classroom. The first student then comes back into the classroom and as a class we sing 'How Much Is That Doggy In The Window' getting louder as the student nears the dog and softer as he or she gets further away.

I've found that it's a really great way to introduce young students to loud and soft and have them singing together in a non-threatening environment. Students love the game and can't wait for their turn to search for or hide the dog. It's even more fun if they get to name it!

No comments:

Post a Comment